Saturday, May 2, 2009

Something called...Love


Since the time I have been writing, many of my close friends have been waiting for me to write something about the most sensational topic in the world...Love!

I wonder why they are so curious to know what I think about something so strange. Perhaps, the very fact that it is strange is what makes people interested in it. I have been reading a couple of articles written by my friends on their blogs and have been thinking of putting down my thoughts too. Finally, I have convinced myself to sit down and do it. I have finally failed in my attempt to evade the topic!

To begin with, let me tell you, I am an idealist. I have an idealistic approach to everything in life, including Love. I have always believed that Love is sacrosanct. But strangely, it has revealed itself around me in many different ways that are not so congruent with my idealistic beliefs.

I know of some of my very close friends...their fragile hearts were smitten with Love. And as Kahlil Gibran says it, ' then came Satan and drove them out of the Paradise of Love '. Their hearts shattered into a thousand pieces. After the tempest died, they sat in the darkness hoping for a ray of hope. Some of them just gave up on it and let the wind blow away the shattered pieces lying strewn all over. Some optimists, picked up the pieces and tried putting them together as though playing a jigsaw puzzle which they can never comprehend.

On the other hand there are people who can conveniently trample over those fragile hearts and confidently justify their actions. These people seem to be like jugglers juggling with hearts.

I know that atleast when it comes to Love, there are many idealists like me. And for us idealists, assimilation of certain modern day theories become difficult. But I have realised that this thing called Love has a 'psycho-socio' dimension to it. And if we take this into consideration, it may seem that the concept of Love has been treated with a lot of hypocrisy. It is said that Love has everything to do with the heart...originates from the heart and terminates at the heart. But looking at the trend, one may be rest assured that every thing in between the beginning and the end has something to do with the brain, society etc... and least with 'heart'.

Yes, for idealists its hard to believe that distance can break relationships, but the fact is that in many cases it does. Its impossible in the story books for the princess or the prince to fall in Love with someone else, but outside the books, its very much possible. One of my very good friends recently told me that its possible for a person who is in Love with someone to have an infatuation for someone else. My idealism questioned this.. but that fact is that it happens. I have heard people say, "its perfectly fine to have crushes outside your relationships". I wonder how?! The other day I read an article in the paper which states a new discovery by some scientists somewhere in the world that flirting..even outside your relationship can be good for you. Don't scientists have anything better to do?

And I must not forget to include one of the most important aspects which can make or break relationships. Money! (i now think Love has a psycho-socio & economic dimension too!!) I guess the more we look into it, the more factors will appear...achievements, capability, dreams, space etc etc all play their respective roles. It always begins with the heart...and then there is everything except the heart, in it.

Finally I am forced to conclude that Love is not absolute. It is subjective...subjective in terms of perceptions, decisions & experiences. Each one can interpret it differently and experience it differently. Its best if we remember that it is not an Axiom.


As for me, the more I try to figure this out, the more complicated and dreadful it gets. I feel my understanding of Love when I was 15 years old was far better than what it is now because... it was innocent. I was ignorant of the darker sides of paradise. I could only see the beauty. I could believe only in the purity. Maybe that's why its said...sometimes ignorance is bliss.

And now, leaving each one to his own, I return to where I belong...the story book...where the Prince & the Princess are locked in the sacred bliss of Love. The perfect Love which the 15 year old within me still believes in. I will rather be happy with my eyes shut than be sad with my eyes open...

10 comments:

  1. u knw what Unni... i completely agree with you. there is nothing as such as love... i dont knw how do ppl get into crushes or relationships when they already are into one.. dey say its healthy to flirt... what has happen yar u wanna stay healthy have healthy food exersise u can stay healthy. why do u wanna flirt... heart is no where involved in this word "love" everything accept for heart is der.. ur society ur economic back ground everything.. why do ppl say dat dey love each other..

    ReplyDelete
  2. True!!!

    The bottom line is..."its subjective"

    ReplyDelete
  3. True!!!

    The bottom line is...

    ITS SUBJECTIVE...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well...despite being the one who calls himself Vintage Aashiq...i'll have to say that you made some pretty darn good points there. Nonetheless, it was nice to read that that 15-year old boy is still alive..and is still searching for that purity. In fact, keep your eyes open my friend, because in the midst of all that sadness, and the austerity of everyday life, you will find that sacrosanct love that you've been looking for... And by the way..this was your best post till date...rock on...!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "And now, leaving each one to his own, I return to where I belong...the story book...where the Prince & the Princess are locked in the sacred bliss of Love. The perfect Love which the 15 year old within me still believes in. I will rather be happy with my eyes shut than be sad with my eyes open..."

    Beautiful... that says it all:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. u seem to think a lot about love than u let be known...
    Well i beg to differ...love, amore....its more than just a btw a man n a woman...we each experience love in various walks of life .love for parens, love for frnds, love for sibling, love for pets, love for our partners...etc etc... For love my frnd is an addiction the worst kind actually..n once u experience the high of being in love u never wanna step down...
    True heartaches r much too hard but the beauty is we still move on searching for love...
    But in a relationship there is one thing more important than love n thats like..if u genuinely like the person ur with then even when the phase of dynamic love fades it still stays on in the for of like....
    Im glad u still believe in love though why u shouldnt i dont quite get..but go ahead take a leap...just jump off n experience one of the few pure highs in life.... Just take the leap...

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey scorpionbite..

    im sorry i didnt mention tht i was writing bout the love between man n woman. yes..it has a lot of dimensions to it..its too vast..i just touched the most sensitive of them all.. ;-)

    i need to tell u tht i sometimes travel ahead of myself..n sometimes far behind myself.. wht i wrote was one of the intersections in the time whn both just met!!

    ciao

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey!! How r u doing??? Why havnt u updated your blog in so long??

    ReplyDelete